Govanhill Community Development Trust
Promoting Govanhill and creating opportunities for local people are at the heart of the Govanhill Community Development Trust. Our activities fall into 3 main areas:
– Commercial Property. We own and manage a commercial property portfolio worth £3m. This enables us to provide affordable workspaces on flexible terms to local businesses, third sector organisations and individuals to develop local economic opportunities. Our tenant base includes a range of business, social enterprises and voluntary sector organisations who provide jobs and services to local people.
– Community Development. This programme is funded by the Scottish Government, Glasgow City Council, Big Lottery Scotland and encompasses three main areas of work:
1. Language and Literacy Programme. We deliver classes, 121 support and drop in activities to support the development of English language and literacy skills within the community.
2. Roma Family Support Work. This is a programme of support for Roma families and individuals to ensure they maximise opportunities and understand their rights and entitlements in relation to education, employment, health, housing and other local services.
3. Volunteering support. This is a programme offering volunteering opportunities to local people and/or with local organisations. We also support volunteers through training, one to one support and activities to identify barriers to employment.
We also deliver a series of activities to complement this delivery:
- Coordination of the Govanhill Community Shop at 192 Allison St.
- Coordination of the Govanhill.info website
- Projects to promote community integration and develop community cohesion
- Information and awareness raising sessions about local services within local schools
- Coordination of Govanhill Community Action, a local voluntary sector forum
- Development of a local youth leadership programme
- Support for the work of Sistema Scotland in Govanhill
– Local Environmental Development Activity. GCDT delivers projects funded through its profits and in partnership with Glasgow City Council to develop the local area. This includes:
– Shopfront improvements – we have delivered shopfront improvements along Allison St between Victoria Rd and Cathcart Rd
– Backcourt improvements – with Govanhill Housing Association, we coordinated the improvement of the backcourts in the 13 unimproved housing blocks in SW Govanhill.
– Front garden improvements – we have led the improvement of front gardens along Allison St and in some of the adjacent streets
– Development and management of a Community Training Garden, adjacent to Samaritan House
For more information about any of the services of Govanhill Community Development Trust, please contact Dave Zabiega on 0141 636 3665.
Govanhill Housing Association
Set up in 1974, the community controlled Association owns and manages more than 2,300 homes and provides a factoring service to a further 1,400 owners. It provides quality, affordable homes and works with others to promote the wider regeneration of Govanhill. The Association’s Management Committee consists of voluntary members elected by local resident shareholders at its annual general meeting.